Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A stone of remembrance


"For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows." 2 Corinthians 1:5

 
 
The temporary marker by mom's gravesite has finally been replaced with a permanent headstone. The large stone makes her no less gone than she was before, but it does add a note of finality to the whole thing. I took Will to BayLeaf last week so I could see it and so Will could enjoy the nearby playground.
 
When I first saw the plots of land that Dad had bought for whenever that time came, I knew they were in a prominent spot in BayLeaf's cemetery. Seeing the headstone now confirms it. No one entering the church from the back parking lot can miss it. A permanent reminder of mom is perched at the base of the hill for all to see. She always loved attention.
 
I'm not one to regularly visit the gravesites of loved ones. To each his own, but for me, she's no more there in the ground than she is sitting on the couch next to me right now. She's in Heaven, and I'm so overwhelmingly grateful for that. However, I did call Dad on Wednesday morning last week and told him we absolutely had to get a pretty vase of red flowers out there that afternoon before the Wednesday night crowd starting arriving at church. It was only fitting, and it's exactly as she would have wanted it.
 
Pretty, red, and perched for all to see. Mom's stone of remembrance.

2 comments: