Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Keeping it real

From the day I found out I was pregnant, Ryan has said he doesn't want to raise a first born. He was a first born. From him came all the hand-me-downs to brothers 1 and 2. All of his occasions were a big deal. Everything was new, and he was first, and nothing was old hat. Instead of growing up to think he's somebody, Ryan wants our first born to have a second-born experience. I told him it was impossible. (Yes, I decorated a nursery for Will, and yes, I will go all out for his first birthday.)
However, we have improvised on a few things in regard to Will, so I'm writing this post for Ryan. Do these things count?

Will's baby gate:
 
 

(Because containing him shouldn't cost us holes in the wall.)

The "curtains" in his bedroom:

(Because the blinds should be enough.)


His "personalized" bottles:

(Because we haven't invested in those cute rubber band labels that everyone has. But I want.)


Our drawer locks:

(Because the real locks require holes in the wood, too.)


His toys:


(Okay, he has other, better toys that we've borrowed from Graham. But these are his choice.)


His clothes:

(Because hand-me-downs from dear friends are perfect.)

And since we're on the subject, I've put him directly in the cart at Wal-Mart from day 1. (I must be honest and admit to taking a wipe to it before putting him in.) His lunch menu at home has been the same since the day he started eating lunch: turkey and cheese. That is all. His changing pad hasn't had a cover on it since the first time he stained it and made me wash it. (What is the point of a changing pad cover?) And yesterday I let him crawl in the dirt and put bark in his mouth.

So, how am I doing at this raising-our-first-born-like-a-second-born thing? (Before you answer that, Can I buy some of those rubber band labels for his birthday?)



2 comments:

  1. I am reading your blog now! (not in order... apparently) LOL

    I have no idea what changing pad covers are for... I think they're for people who just have a need to make everything "pretty"... as I am not one of those people, I do not understand it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Jenelle! So glad I'm not the only one who doesn't use or see the need for a changing pad cover! I'm looking forward to reading your blog!

      Delete