Saturday, January 11, 2014

Be smarter

Round two of baby proofing the house has commenced.

I had one of those mommy heart attacks the other day.

Judge me not when I tell this story.

We have strategically turned our upstairs hallway into the equivalent of a padded room, a virtual safe house for Will. All doors are closed, the stairway is blocked, the outlets are plugged up, there's plexi-glass in front of the stair railing, and I've even removed the white rubber tips from the door stoppers. I'm so confident in this area's ability to safely contain my child, that I've left him playing out there by himself while I shower for months now.

You can probably see where this is going.

The other day, when I stepped out of the shower, I heard a mother's most dreaded sound. Not screaming. Silence. I heard silence. 

I opened my bedroom door and stepped out into the empty hallway. I yelled for Ryan. Surely he had come home unexpectedly while I was in the shower and had taken Will downstairs, or even outside.

No reply.

Panic. Panic, Panic, Panic.

I was just about to look over the bannister at the dreaded bottom of the stairs when I heard a tap-tap from inside the guest bedroom. I opened the door, and lo and behold: Will. Smiling, playing with a set of car keys.

The rest of the story is history, everyone's heard it before, but here's my take-away:

Babies are smart.


Be smarter:

Try it now, buddy.

Thank you, Lord, for your mercy and for the daily near misses I never even see.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! He's opening doors? That's impressive! :) Smart little problem-solver :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I routinely pray for God's mercy in all of my kids' "firsts." Esp dealing with safety. First time they learn to open under the sink cabinet and open bottles of cleaner...first time they learn how to crawl up the 5 drawer dresser to the top...first time they learn they can reach that lamp cord and tangle themselves in it....yep. All ideas just off the top of my head of course....wink.wink. I pray for God's mercy in allowing me to learn the lesson without harm to my children. Too bad they are adorable little troublemakers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't figure out the door handle safety thing when I took him up to change his diaper (: Hopefully he won't be smarter than me but I think he just may be!

    ReplyDelete