Friday, January 31, 2014

Ehh, so it snowed.

The Triangle area shut down this week as the sky dropped white, fluffy, cold stuff otherwise known as snow.

At the risk of sounding old and boring, I'm going to go ahead and say that the last time I enjoyed snow from somewhere other than in front of a window with a warm drink and sweats on was probably more than fifteen years ago. At the risk of sounding yet older and even more boring, snow's appeal--beyond being something pretty to look at--is utterly lost on me. It's cold, snowmen melt, and hot chocolate thrills me more than a hill and a sled any day.

Altogether now: Old and boring!

Thank goodness I now have a kid to save me from my old boringness!

(Or so I thought!)

So Wednesday I geared myself up to do what any good mother would do: Set aside my preferences to give my kid some fun.

As it turns out, he'll jump from the stairs into nothingness, run straight into ocean waves, laugh when Daddy body slams him on the couch, but when it comes to being cold -- he's not game. As the pictures show, we did get a few smiles, but his general expression reflected my sentiments exactly: What is this? Why does she have me out in it? Doesn't she know I'm cold?

We went outside three different times, and this was the basic progression each time:



Hmmm....

Fake smile


Okay, mittens help. I can get into this.
 
Oooh yeah, Mom's redneck sled: A laundry basket and a jump rope.
And another fake smile.
 
Yeah, yeah, this is fun!
 
Wahoo!
 And then, no lie, zero to sixty in about 2.5 seconds:


The first time


The second time

And the third
 
Bless his little southern heart.
 
All I can say is he gets it honest.
 
I did find one appeal to snow that I didn't know about before: The photo ops. We got some good ones:
 








 
 



 
Okay, snow, thanks. Now it's time for you to head on out. 

1 comment:

  1. Will is so adorable! Great pics. I love the snow. Does that mean I'm still young and cool?

    ReplyDelete