Friday, September 23, 2016

I said shit in front of my kids

"You're within the one-hour departure window. I'm sorry, I can't check your bags. You've missed your flight."

[Insert expletive in front of the children.]

Seattle, Washington. Day five. Two kids. One hotel room. Beautiful wedding. But, two kids. One hotel room. Day FIVE.

"Go stand in the 'Assistance' line over there to rebook your flight," said the airport lady who I wanted to punch. And it wasn't even her fault, but I still wanted to punch her.

"We will run. We will leave our bags here. Heck, we will leave these kids here with you. PLEASE let us get on the plane!"

She said no, and I said shit.

And went and stood in the Assistance line with people flying with tubas.

Kids, toddlers, boys: They don't do lines. So Ryan waited while I followed and corralled and excused-me'd, and pretty much Lost. My. Mind in the busy Seattle airport.

Turns out, we just did a dry run, as our flight got rebooked for the same time. The next day.

Fun.

Minus Whitney and Derek's beautiful wedding, I spent the first four days of the trip inside the hotel room because, well, the baby has to nap. And he's exhausted from travelling, and Seattle, your 5pm is really his 8pm, so... "It's 4pm? Oh! Gotta go!"

Anyone who knows me knows I don't do hotels the same way kids don't do lines. It's a weird, totally nonsensical, impractical, irrational germ-thing. But if I see you downstairs at the breakfast buffet and your hair looks greasy, I'm convinced you slept on my pillow last night and now my face is touching your hair grease. And the bed bugs. I truly can't elaborate further or I may not finish this post.

I don't do hotels.

(But my kids do, and that makes my blood pressure even higher. "Please don't roll around on the carpet." "Oh please don't play with the shower drain." "Please, please don't snuggle up with that communal blanket!")

So when Day 5 was not Trip Over Day, I lost my cool for a momentary, public, out loud, four-letter-word. Sigh. (That wasn't the word.)

In all seriousness, God's goodness oozed all over us the entire trip, and especially those last 24 hours. He allowed us to rebook our lodging, our rental car, and our flight within moments. We drove back from the airport, put John down for a nap, and afterwards enjoyed an afternoon corralling kids sightseeing in Seattle.

Not even a month later, I can say it was totally worth it.

And really mean it:



Will and I rode the ferris wheel overlooking the city. Very high, Very amazing. Very worth it.


1 comment:

  1. I did not know that about you and hotels ;)

    Sorry you missed that plane, but glad you can look back at the trip fondly anyway. Flying/traveling across country and time zones with small children is no mean feat.

    ReplyDelete