Thursday, October 10, 2013

Paper treasures

Last week I went to mom and dad's house to retrieve an old wicker toy chest that I used as a kid. It's going to make both Will and me happy at Wooden Road: Will has a large box to rummage through, which is his favorite activity these days, and I have an easy place to store his toys so that my house can still, at times, appear as if the adults rule this roost.

We intended the pick-up to be quick, but when we got to dad's and I lifted the lid, I had forgotten that all of my toys were still inside. I must say, I'm quite proud of myself. Even as nostalgic as I am (and have recently become), most things landed in the big trash box that Dad brought over while I sat on the floor in the playroom and rummaged through my old things. But there were of course a few things I didn't want to part with, and having my own kid made the decision to keep them a little easier to justify: the plastic McDonald's French fries that transform into a robot, the pound puppy on wheels, the miniature pots and pans, the Cabbage Patch doll figurine, and a few other happy reminders of my childhood.



As cool as that stuff is, the most meaningful thing I saved from the trash box that afternoon was my autograph book.



When little eight-year-old me went around and made my family and friends sign that book, I had no idea of the treasure I was creating. Seeing someone's handwriting, especially when that someone is no longer here, feels like seeing something you're not supposed to see. Looking is like peeling back a curtain to peek at something sacred. The awe of it startles me. Since finding that little book, I've looked at the pages only a couple of quick times. I think I'm afraid the words will disappear if I look too long. I have a little note from mom, I have Dana Youmans' signature, and I have a note from Mama Bette. Paper treasures.

(P.S. In the pictures below, it was my bright, eight-year-old idea to have people write their real names in parentheses next to their greeting, I guess in case I one day forgot who they were or they became famous. Always thinking ahead.)









I also have a note from Dad:




Drew:

I'll claim the writing in the dark pen.
Drew refused my parentheses requirement.


Grandma and Grandpa:



One thing I regret about blogging my memories instead of writing them down is that future generations won't have pages of handwriting to run their fingers across and marvel over the fact that at one point, I was there. Pen and paper and me. Maybe this day and age, we'll start keeping our loved ones' laptops, and we'll marvel over the keys they so often touched. (I'm joking... sort of.)

That little autograph book, with the teddy bear, bicycles, and roller skates on the front, has taken me on quite a trip down memory lane since I rediscovered it, complete with smiles, lumps in my throat, and definitely a good laugh or two:

My 2nd-grade boyfriend James Welch


And here's a cute picture to end on so the parting thought of this post isn't James Welch:

 
 
I'd call the toy chest a roaring success.

7 comments:

  1. So cool! Amazing the things that you can find years later that you haven't thought of in ages that can bring such depth of emotion. Love the autograph book! (And the upside to blogging is that your posts are saved in spite of fire, flood, or a shortage of ballpoint pens!) No more worrying about whether to grab your journal or something more useful in the event of a major catastrophe! :)

    Love the toy chest! That is super cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the upside to blogging! Love it.

      Delete
  2. I have to tell you that this made me cry. How incredibly sweet and priceless to have happy, casual notes from those you love who have already departed. Who knew that one day they would cheer you through these notes. Also, love the little book. Is that by Sanrio Surprises? I was SO into that company when I was little. I had an instant emotional response of excitement when I saw it. (Also, just to add, I love s'mores and can't wait to join you guys for bonfires. Can we sing around the fire? :) Also, love the song "Because He Lives", too. Always have. Such a good one.) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. It has been so special to find that little book. Yes, it is most definitely from Sanrio Surprises. You and I would have been great friends when we were little. I LOVED that place. And yes, we can sing around the bon fire when you guys come! We need to put it on the calendar!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this, Susan. It brought tears to my eyes! What a treasure you have found. I so love reading your blog. You have such a gift with words. Will is going to LOVE having this one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Diane, and for your comment! I just stopped in my tracks when I saw Dana's name in that book. So special.

      Delete
  4. Yep. Sanrio surprises. Me and LIz had to beg our parents to drive all the way to Raleigh to go to that. It was on the corner near the food court. I think I opted for a sticker book but now I wish I had the autograph book. So special. The fact that you made folks write their real names was awesome. sounds like the logic of an 8 year old all right. I'll remember this when my kiddo comes up to me with some "silly" request like this and I will take time to make it special for him. Thanks for a laugh and a few tears (the good kind)

    ReplyDelete