Friday, November 21, 2014

Sunsets and matchbox cars

"The sun's about to set!"

It was the only time the whole week that all of us, simultaneously, stopped. A soapy sippy cup still in hand, I rushed to find my spot by the breakfast nook window, along with Kelly, Kyle, Grams, Whitney, Derek, Ryan, Steve, and Flora. Of course us east-coasters think the sight of the sun setting over the ocean is as rare and beautiful as the Hope diamond, but what I love about my west-coast family is that they still think so, too. The sun setting each evening was the calm to the day's fun chaos, even if we had to trip over matchbox cars and blocks to see it.

We spent the first week of November in California, visiting family, celebrating Thanksgiving early, and attending cousin Brenna's wedding.

In between, we squeezed in a trip to the petting zoo, dinner at the amazing South of Nick's restaurant (where even though I couldn't consume the margarita, just being in its presence made me happy - remember last year's post), walks on the beach, trips to the park, a five-star-two-thumbs-up massage, and sunsets. Oh, those sunsets.

Were it not for Steve and Flora's grandparenting (Flora, that box of trucks? Yes, just yes) and Gigi's amazing generosity and hospitality, Ryan and I couldn't use the words we've been using to describe the trip to friends since we've been back: amazing, restful, fun.

And what did Will think of it all? The pictures speak volumes. But there's one thing I didn't capture on camera that all moms of little boys will understand. You want to know how the trip went for Will? Well, let me mention that Gigi doesn't just live on the beach, she has train tracks directly in front of her house. A train went by probably five times a day. Need I say more about what Will thought of California?

I'll let the pictures say the rest.

The whole airport/airplane thing was much easier this time than last... 

...in part thanks to having his carseat to strap that boy down.

And of course this happened right after the lady told us to prepare for landing.

He got off a plane and got on a bus! Happy boy!


Ahhhh! We're here. (This is the breakfast nook view.)


Petting zoo

Hi, my name is Will.

Just don't ask to take one home. 










These cute cousins were together last Thanksgiving, but they actually acknowledged
each other this year! As you can see...







And here starts the slew of Gigi pictures. Because I adore her,
and I can't decide which pic I like the most.



Post her five-star-two-thumbs-up massage, but you could have guessed that.







Papa the pony

Playing with a backdrop like that? Yeah, Will protested when we got home.

I'll just sleep here in this dog bed. (No, he's not really asleep. This is Will we're talking about.)



I can't remember why he's crying here. Probably because  we
wouldn't let him go down to the ocean at 6am.
How wonderful that we got to see Grandma in Santa Barbara.
Will and Josiah may have missed out on the wedding festivities, but
Grandma and Aunt Robin sure didn't disappoint!

The wedding

One of those CA sunsets

Too bad I'm mid blink.


Oh Ryan. (But still, what a cute pic.)

I only wish I was a part of this movie star pic. Whoa!

The beautiful reception

Only in CA. What a fun tree house. And the trees behind it? Yeah, an avocado orchard.
Ryan's cousin's house. 

On the way home. 


It's still the small things. (Phew! says mommy)



1 comment:

  1. Love the pic of will walking n the beach! Glad you guys had a good time.

    ReplyDelete