Sunday, February 9, 2014

The spirits of affection

Perhaps the only thing more iconic to Valentines Day than good ole Necco Conversation Hearts is cupid himself.

What they lack in taste, their messages make up for in sentiment, and I assume that's why my dear Mom gave them to us every Valentines Day that I can remember. She liked the sentiment.

Although Drew and I invariably got a box of Conversation Hearts every year (even after we were married), the last year was particularly special. That year Mom didn't just give us a box of hearts. She gave us baggies of hand-selected hearts. Drew, Ashley, Ryan, and I each got our own bag.

That's taking the sentiment up a notch.

It struck me the other day that I still had those baggies in a drawer somewhere. I was so in love with her gesture, that I left the bags in tact and tucked them away. (Come on, there's nothing perishable in a Necco heart!)

Mom had a saying she borrowed from her Mama when she was surrounded by family or moved by a kind gesture. She'd say she was overcome with the spirits of affection.

When I look at these baggies, I can't think of a more apt way to describe the sentiment.


My bag 

Ryan's bag
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Your blog always makes me cry. :) Such sweet memories. (haha, pun totally unintended)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Overcome by the spirits of affection" (sometimes with happy tears) is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete