Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bienvenidos (Our Mexican vacation)

Welcome.
Welcome to the Grand Velas resort in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
The place where food and drinks are endless and free.
The place where every room has a pool and beach view.
The place where staff members, in crisp white uniforms, serve you hand and foot, with a kindness and hospitality like you've never seen before:
Want to eat your lunch poolside? Done. They'll bring it to you on a tray.
Need another drink? You won't finish the first before the second awaits.
Want flank steak and shrimp for breakfast? They're in the breakfast buffet every day.
Too lazy tired to carry your plate of food from the buffet line to your table? Wait staff will insist on carrying it for you.
How about homemade chocolates every afternoon at 4 (brought to you poolside, as if you deserve some sort of treat for your hard work of laying out in the sun)?
Or room service, all hours of the day and night? Just wait for the knock at your door.
At the Grand Velas resort, the complimentary soap in the bathrooms is L'occitane, and the on-site restaurants serve Escargot. And I haven't even mentioned the 50-minute holistic body massage (which landed me on another planet.)

This was our all-inclusive Mexican vacation.

This was reality for the Thomsens last week.

This was luxury like I've never experienced before.

This was the place we took our teething, wild-man, wonderful toddler. And the place where he taught me yet another thing or two about motherhood. On vacation. In Mexico.

What I'm about to say next is called keeping it real.

My arms and neck were sore for the first two days of our trip from arm wrestling Will in the airplane on the way there. Of course, nothing in the hotel room or the resort itself was Will-proof, and my boy thought the pool water was cold, so he didn't want to be in it. (That's what you do with a child at a tropical resort: Play in the pool.)

I bemoaned to Ryan on Day 2 of the trip: "Everything about this place screams Relax, and I just can't seem to. It actually stresses me out to be at a place so conducive for relaxation when I can't relax!"

Ryan looked at me and said the most profound thing I'd heard in a while, and it sums up Mothering Lesson #1245 that I had to go all the way to Mexico to learn: "Your primary goal on this trip can't be relaxation. Your primary goal should be togetherness."

And honestly, with that, my trip started to improve.

I don't know why I didn't realize it before we left the country, but you don't take a vacation from motherhood. Not that I want to--but that reality didn't hit me until my margarita sat there melting while I chased Will around the grounds, trying to keep him from throwing rocks in the pool and disabling the sprinkler system. Like a young couple (with three kids) next to us at the pool said, "All of your parenting responsibilities are the same, you're just in a different location--which can actually make it even harder."

Which is why relaxation can't be your primary goal. That's what it used to be when I went on vacation. And boy did I read books and get good tans.

But at the risk of sounding corny, my memories of Will running behind the pool chairs, sneakily out of my reach, and the nanosecond he stopped to enjoy a cheese quesadilla, sitting in his lounge chair, are already sweeter to me not even a week later than all of my pre-motherhood vacations.

Those were relaxing, but this was much sweeter.

Thanks to my dear husband for the lesson and my little Will for proving the case in point.

I'll take motherhood. Any day.

Even if it means my margarita is gonna melt.

********

Here's what all that togetherness looked like last week:

Too bad looking out the window isn't this action-packed
the entire flight! Will had no interest in looking at clouds.

The taxi ride from the airport to the resort. Will thought he
was big stuff riding without a car seat. I should mention for
memory's sake that when we got off the plane at the airport,
resort staff was there to welcome us, with warm towels for
washing our hands and bottles of water. Let the luxury begin!


The view from our room. No lie.




Yes, I took a picture of the soap


The novelty of the water was short lived. Cute pic, though.
 

 
Maybe he'll like a float and some toys in the water. Maybe
his shirt is making him cold...We tried everything. His
face about sums it up.
 
Caught the nanosecond on film

Day 1. All I have to say is: Whiiiiite.

He was really into the guacamole. Too bad it's
impossible to make it that good at home.

This flotation device must be good for something.

Every kind of fresh fruit imaginable! Will liked the
strawberries. I had a heaping spoonful of kiwi slices every
morning.


That's the face of someone wreaking havoc in a hotel room.
(In case you didn't recognize it.)

Sure, you can use your shovels as forks.

We didn't spend a ton of time on the beach because
the water was freezing and the sand was hot.
Complain, complain, I know. But we went out there
a couple of late afternoons, and Will loved it. Especially
eating the sand. Ohhhh yeah.

Nachos by the pool? I think I will.

Okay so I actually ate these. I'm still trying not to think
about it. We ate at an amazing restaurant at the resort,
and when Ryan saw Escargot on the menu, he said we had
to order it. After all, it was free! I closed my eyes,
stuck it in, and chewed. Quite good. (But I'm still
trying not to think about it.)


Afraid I might get left out of the vacation pics.


Our favorite waiter Francisco


Will's drink of choice for the week: OJ

Peek-

-a-boo

 

If you know me at all, you know I don't do baths in hotel tubs. Heck, I don't do
hotels. But, this one met even my standard.


 

At the end of the week, they drove us back to the airport in a bus.
Highlight of Will's trip.

Togetherness

And when we got home, this was a bit of comic relief
from our efforts trying to get Will to go down for a
nap.
Bienvenidos home, everyone. Bienvenidos home.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like the place to go on a girls trip sans kiddos!! Although, I am SO glad you realized on day 1 that vacay is no longer relax time but is now "togetherness" time. I am SO gonna remember that on our next one. It was a blessing for you to hear that word from Ryan. Will is so adorably into everything. I love the diaper pics on his tippy toes the very best. Love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great reminder of the new realization I am currently learning about motherhood and "vacationing". We are heading to Chicago in June for Kyle's ordination and a couple days of family "vacation" and I think we will need to be reminded that trips are about togetherness :) Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in high school, my friends and I took my younger brothers and cousin to Great America for the day, and I learned rather swiftly that there is nothing relaxing about having to be the "responsible adult." We had fun... but it wasn't FUN the way it would have been if I hadn't been responsible for my 11, 12, and 13 year old charges (one of whom was TERRIFIED of the prospect of going on any of the rides, and I didn't feel comfortable just letting him wander off and spend the day in the arcades all by himself).

    Glad you all had a good time! Love the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete